5th Grade Spelling Words & Activities
Check out these 5th grade spelling words and activities. Whether you're a home school teacher, a classroom teacher, or a parent who's interested in strengthening your own fifth grader's spelling skills, we think you'll find these resources to be very helpful.
List of 5th Grade Spelling Words
5th grade spelling words - A gigantic list of 300 words typically included in fifth grade spelling programs. Use these for making your own spelling word games, worksheets or extra oral practice. Here's a peek at a few of the words.
5th grade spelling bee words - A list of 100 words, arranged from easiest to most challenging. A good "short list" for your fifth graders to use and practice. Most of these words also appear on our master list of 300 words.
5th grade spelling lists - 3 more big lists from typical fifth grade math, science and social studies classes. Lots of great words for your students to learn!
NEW! Fifth Grade Writing Prompts
I've written two sets of engaging writing prompts, aligned with our fifth grade spelling word list. Use these stimulating prompts anytime throughout the year for fun spelling and writing practice!
Set #1 - Twelve engaging prompts featuring a magic frog act, a birthday surprise, Different Day and nine more!
Set #2 - Twelve more writing prompts for 5th grade, featuring a sneaky mouse in the principal's office, mysterious bubbles and more.
New! Shoe Shenanigans - Great practice in identifying and correcting misspelled 5th grade spelling words in this story about shopping for shoes.
New! A Snowy Situation - Give students valuable spelling AND vocabulary practice with this engaging worksheet.
Fun, Flexible Fifth Grade Worksheets - "Fish Net" and "Intersecting Synonyms" provide fun spelling practice with almost any spelling word!
Word Search Puzzle - Students identify incorrectly spelled words and find the correct ones in a unique puzzle. The worksheet is based on our fifth grade spelling word list.
So N "ICE" to Know You! - All the answers on this vocab page contain the letters ICE.
Croaky Meets the Plumber and Extra Letters Worksheets: Students chose the correctly spelled words to complete an interesting story or eliminate extra letters to solve a word puzzle.
Brain teasers for all abilities. Try our Level 1 or Level 2 puzzlers for new ways to help students think and spell!
Spelling Games & Activities
Missing Letters and In Between - Two super-simple ways for students to practice spelling, develop their vocabulary and practice dictionary skills.
More Spelling Fun for Kids - New games to play on a Scrabble game board. Mumbo-jumbo, anyone?
Fifty-Fifty - Fun word game for kids. Older students earn points as they engage in word play and spelling fun.
Here are two fun ideas to put some pizzazz into your weekly spelling bee quizzes. Try these spelling test games this week!
Spelling Bee Games - Try one of our new Silent Spelling Bee variations. A fun--and quiet--twist on a classic game!
Another Spelling Bee Game - Students step up to victory as they help their team advance in this fun new game.
You May Also Enjoy...
Spelling Homework Ideas The more practice the better! 20 fabulous, flexible ideas for any list of weekly spelling words.
Spelling Word Games View our entire collection of interactive games for small and large groups of students. Spelling reinforcement can be fun!
Spelling Worksheets See the entire assortment of reproducible pages for spelling practice. Lots of formats from which to choose.
We have helpful spelling lessons, too, including this Step-By-Step lesson plan on those tricky IE/EI words.
AnyWord Spelling Practice Books - A wealth of worksheets, games and writing prompts for practicing any 5th grade spelling words. Use the pages over and over!
Newsletter Sign-UpPlease sign up to receive our free newsletter. You'll receive a bunch of Spelling Bee helps and other freebies when you sign up. The newsletter includes teaching ideas and free resources for teachers and parents. Learn more!
It's all FREE!
We promise not to share your information with anyone!
Home > 5th Grade Spelling
Spelling Homework Ideas
Need some ideas for spelling homework? Check out the gigantic list below of great ideas! You'll find the first 20 ideas here, and the remaining ones here. Each idea can be used with any list of weekly spelling words. Choose the ones that work best for your grade level. Vary the activities frequently.
Note: You might also want to consider our new AnyWord Spelling Practice eBooks. They are full of ideas for lots of spelling practice with any spelling words. The 3 eBooks provide practice with creative writing, word play, and partner games. Check them out!
Printable List of Spelling Homework Ideas
1. Write each word 5 times, using a different color each time.
2. Type your spelling words 10 times, using a different font each time.
3. Create a comic strip. Add captions that use 5 of your words.
4. Write the words in ABC order.
5. Write the words in reverse ABC order.
6. Write a TV ad for a product that uses 5 of your spelling words.
7. Find each word in the dictionary. Copy a definition for each one.
8. Cut each spelling word out of a newspaper or magazine. Glue all the words on a piece of paper.
9. Write a sentence for each spelling word, but leave out the spelling words. List all the words on the page. Ask a family member to add the correct spelling word to each sentence.
Remember: Spelling homework not only prompts students to practice their spelling words. It can also help engage family members in the learning process.
10. Find each word in the dictionary. Write the page number on which it appears and the guide words at the top of the page.
11. Write each word in a sentence. Make pictures for 3 sentences.
12. Write your spelling words. Add a rhyming word next to each one.
13. Write a story that uses 10 spelling words. Remember: Spelling homework not only prompts students to practice their spelling words. It can also help get family members involved in the learning process.
14. Scramble each spelling word. Have a family member unscramble the words and sign your paper.
15. Spell your words with alphabet pasta. Glue them onto paper.
16. Cut out paper letters for half of the words and glue onto paper.
17. Make a word search puzzle in which you hide all of your spelling words. Give it to a family member to solve and sign.
18. For a different type of word search, draw a Boggle-type game board. Make sure it contains at least 5 of your spelling words. See if a family member can find the spelling words.
19. Make two copies of your spelling words on index cards. Use the cards to play a memory or "Concentration" game with a family member.
20. Write each word forwards and backwards.
Find our next 20 ideas here.
Ideas for using our list:
At the beginning of the week, give students a written list of 5 of these ideas. Ask them to complete them in any order throughout the week.
Or, make a monthly spelling calendar. Write a different idea on the calendar for each school day in the month.
For more spelling homework ideas:
Need more ideas? See this list of 20 more homework ideas and/or our AnyWord Spelling Practice eBooks.
Fun spelling practice ideas - Great ways for kids to help each other practice writing almost any spelling words. Time saver for you!
For additional spelling practice, try our spelling worksheets and spelling word games.
Home › Spelling Lessons > Spelling Homework Ideas