17th Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition
Writing is a proclivity that a lawyer must never detach from himself, and thus, each year, the Magazine Committee of the Government Law College, Mumbai, organizes a national level legal essay writing competition, The Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition.
The Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition is sponsored by Mr. Dinesh Vyas, one of GLC’s most distinguished alumni, who obtained his LLB degree from Government Law College in 1967.
The Magazine Committee of the Government Law College now invites entries for the same.
The topics this year are:
- Analyse the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016, discussing in detail its impact on various stakeholders.
- In light of the recent judgement in the Shayara Bano v. Union of India (Triple Talaq Case), discuss in detail its inefficacy and the need for framing a new legislation in this matter.
- Emphasising on the ban of entry of women into temples, to what extent is customary exclusion of gender justified?
- Examine the scope of the Information Technology Act, 2000 (as amended in 2008) in tackling cyber-crime in India and make suggestions in this regard.
- In light of the interim order passed by the International Court of Justice in the matter of Kulbhushan Jadhav, discuss the meritocracy of making these orders binding on members of the United Nations Organisation.
3500 – 5000 words
The deadline for entries is 31st December, 2017.
1st Place: Rs. 12,000/-
2nd Place: Rs. 9,000/-
3rd Place: Rs. 7,000/-
In case of any queries, send an email to email@example.com
For more details, contact:
Anmol Kaur- +91 97574 43478
Nitika Bagaria- +91 77 38 159062
For further details, click HERE.
This post was first published on: November 3, 2017
Have an opportunity or an event to share (moots, conferences, courses, internships, jobs, etc.)? Share it with Lawctopus and reach 1000s of law students and young graduates.
The Magazine Committee of the Government Law College, Mumbai feels that the best means to explore the real lawyer within its students would be to allow the development of the writer beneath his persona. Hence, the Committee organises the Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition each year.
The competition is sponsored by Mr. Dinesh Vyas, one of GLC’s most distinguished alumni, who obtained his LLB degree from Government Law College in 1967. Every year, the number of participants and quality of entries received rises manifold. This year will see the 14th edition of this prestigious competition.
This year’s topics are:
1. The Right to be forgotten: the most recent dispute in data protection. Elaborate with respect to Google’s legal controversy.
2. Discuss the case of Dr. Kunal Saha v. Dr. Sukumar Mukherjee & Ors, with respect to the perpetual conflict between medical negligence and consumer protection. Analyze the crux of the judgment and development of law through the years on the same.
3. Examine the laws regulating commercial activities in outer space and the resolution of disputes in such matters. Shed light on the development of this obscure branch of international law.
4. Trial by Media: Is the fourth pillar of democracy hindering justice? Discuss in detail with reference to the detrimental reporting of criminal cases by media in recent times and the blurry freedom of expression.
5. Analyze the major provisions of the recently introduced, Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2014 in view of the recent incidents brutality towards women.
The winners will be awarded cash prizes as follows:
First prize: 12,000
Second Prize: 9,000
Third Prize: 7,000
The first prize winning entry will be published in the Annual Magazine 2014-15.
- Participation is restricted to students currently studying in Law colleges only. All participants must be LL.B. students, either from the 3 year course or from the 5 year course.
- Individuals alone are eligible to participate. An essay co-authored by two or more students will not be accepted.
- Word Limit: 3500-4500 words. Marks will be deducted for violation of the word limit.
- The identity of the student or the college, university, institution, etc., should not be revealed in the text of the essay in any manner whatsoever.
- The essay must contain proper footnotes mentioning details of authorities used.
- The entry should be typed and printed on one side of A4-sized paper and must adhere to the following formatting requirements:
- Font type – Times New Roman, Font size 12, Double-spacing, One inch margin on each side, printed on one side of the paper.
- Four hard copies of each entry must be sent by registered post or couriered to:
Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition,
C/o Magazine Committee, Government Law College,
‘A’ Road, Churchgate, Mumbai 400020.
Phone no.: +91 9820417321
A copy should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each entry shall be enclosed with a covering letter on the letterhead of the participating college, which mentions the name and year of the student.
- Participants must also submit a short bio-data containing the following information:
Full name, year, college name, telephone number and postal address, personal contact number, e-mail id, postal address.
The last date for entries for the Competition is the 5th of January, 2015.
For further information about the above essay competition, or about the Magazine Committee of Government Law College, Mumbai:
- Visit us at http://www.glcmag.com/
- E-mail us at ‘email@example.com’
- Contact Ms. Maithili Parikh (Chief Student Editor): +91 9820417321